Tuesday, July 29, 2008

The majesty of Delhi's trees

I end up driving a lot, taking a circuitous route to work and back… from gurgaon to cp via the highway and then cut across back to the other side of town – adchini, qutab institutional area, jnu…The first leg of my journey is generally pleasant as this is the time I get to 'hang out' with my cutie (hehe) but it is the drive across the city that has me marveling.

I love the rambling roads and the roundabouts that take you away from the heart of Delhi to the outlying spaces. Most of all I love the towering, green, green trees that shade these wide roads. All that I've read about 'shady, tree-lined avenues' and the dignity and majesty of green Delhi come to life. The chaos on the roads pales in significance (and in terms of irritant value!) just by looking up – at the magnificence of the corridor and the setting afforded to me on a regular basis.

And it isn't just this stretch – no matter how busy the localities, for most people escape to natural havens would mean no more than ten-fifteen minutes. Large parks retaining the original rocky land and green of Delhi, protected ridge areas, the heritage sites dot the city… all just a walk or short drive away.

I realized how much I took it all for granted when recently, driving out through one of the new roads in gurgaon cut through the field and the rock outside of the original settlement areas, I looked up and sighed and told my cutie how I really like traveling this way. He turned around and agreed, adding, 'its like being in Delhi'! But the trees here have some growing up to do.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Kudos to you sweety!!!!
great piece...keep up the good work...:)

21centuryvixen said...

lovely! It's not that easy to blog (ask me...I go through phases), but it's fun too.

I really liked the greenery bit...am currently into sunsets! Very pretty one today. See my photos on the new blog post.

Unknown said...

sooner or later this had to happen!!!

'tumhare andar chupa hua lekhak, jwalamukhi bankar' has finally arrived.

nice!!!