Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Stephie

I knew this little lady who could not have been loved more. I met her when she was well past her prime, but still had the softest, silkiest coat and soulful eyes that also missed nothing. As I grew to know her better I realised she was integral to many lives – she knew all family and friends inside out, and more importantly, gave each the space and the love they needed.

She had also developed the traits of loved elders who take their space and attention as a right. All who have met her have competed for space on the bed, or been pulled to pet her immediately when she would give 'the look' or reach out the minute she felt she wasn't getting her due. But this competition from each time that I can remember resulted in a cosy group hug – with Stephie at the heart of it – that lasted pretty much the entire visit.

She had the fullest life reaching everyone around, and still brings a smile to those who think of her. I couldn’t be happier for having known her.

No comments: